The New year is here and many Minnesota families enjoyed the holidays in the usual tradition; spending time with loved ones, exchanging gifts and of course, gorging themselves on food. But, for many Minnesotans this was a time of increased worry and sadness. The fact is, 9.5% of households in Minnesota are food insecure and will struggle to find enough food in this week. This equates to 1 in 10 households, many with children.
Here at Love From Minnesota, we are extremely pleased to announce our new partnership with Second Harvest Heartland. This generous organization works to reinvent hunger relief through leadership and innovation. They are widely known for distributing great amounts of food quickly and efficiently and rank as the Upper Midwest’s largest hunger relief organization. We’re impressed to say the least! Second Harvest has a unique philosophy that drives their efforts to create sustainable systems and feed people not just today, but tomorrow too. They have partnered with organizations like Summer Food Service Program and have helped to distribute nearly twice as many meals since joining forces. They are also members of Hunger – Free Minnesota, which is a joint effort by eight Minnesota relief organizations focusing on opening eyes throughout the state about the effects of hunger on not just the hungry, but on all Minnesotans. This collaboration is the first of its kind for us.
- 1 in 8 Minnesota children lives at risk of hunger.
- 40% of the members of households served by Second Harvest Heartland are children under 18 years old.
- Children who suffer from poor nutrition during the brain’s most formative years, score much lower on tests of vocabulary, reading comprehension, arithmetic and general knowledge.
- Hungry Minnesota families miss 100 million meals each year.
- Since 2008, visits by seniors to suburban emergency food programs have increased by more than 70%
- Reducing senior citizens’ risk of food insecurity or hunger benefits their health, nutrition and general well-being.
How You Can Help:
Stop by our Roseville, IDS Center and Ridgedale Love From Minnesota locations and donate monetary gifts, canned goods, boxed-complete meals, cleaning supplies and/or hygiene products. When you do, we will reward your generous and kind efforts with an in-store discount. Please see store associate for details.
Love From Minnesota’s food drive starts on Wednesday, January 9th and will run until the Second Harvest donation boxes are full!